File descriptor in bad state...again ;-(

Martin Rusko rusko at sunsite.mine.nu
Wed Nov 6 23:00:00 CET 2002

Hi folks,
I'm trying to set up a small vpn between a few Sun Ultra1 machines
(UltraSparc).
Distribution is Debian Woody (stable).

The problem:
Sunclient:
~~~~~~~~~~
tinc-1.0pre7 original binary package from Woody, machine is running on
original distribution kernel (2.4.18).
# ls -l /dev/net/tun
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      10, 200 Nov  6 22:09 /dev/net/tun
# lsmod
tun                     4560   3

Note: Everything works perfectly here.
Log snippet:
tinc.sunnet[3634]: /dev/net/tun is a Linux tun/tap device

Sunsite:
~~~~~~~~
tinc-1.0pre8 self compiled with /usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_tun.h,
because I'm not running distribution kernel here, but it is also 2.4.18,
compiled from Debian kernel sources
# lsmod
tun                     3920   0  (autoclean)

Log snippet:
tinc.sunnet[15288]: /dev/net/tun is a Linux ethertap device
                                             ^^^^^^^^
Why it logs, that tinc is using ethertap device?!?!?
It should be also tun/tap, or not??

Of course, it doesn't work, and logs the message as I wrote in subject.
I'm not sure, why tun modules has different size on both machines...
What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks...

        mARTin

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/