single static ip address

Gillian gillianh at paper-graphics.com
Wed May 22 10:55:53 CEST 2002

Hi Tinc group,

I have recently got an adsl connection at home, which only provides
a single static ip address. I want to set up a tinc vpn from home to
my workplace. I am trying to decide what hardware I need to do the
above. At the moment, I am aware that I could use an Alcatel
Speedtouch USB modem directly connected to a Linux vpn box at
my home.

( Wall socket---adsl cable---Speedtouch---usb cable---Linux PC----internal ethernet)

Could I use an adsl router (e.g. SAR703) instead of the Speedtouch, and
still get the Tinc vpn to work? In this case would the SAR703 forward
both tcp and udp packets needed for a typical Tinc installation?

Any advice on adsl router/modem hardware choices for use with Tinc
is gratefully received.

Thanks,
Gillian.