tinc connections fallout

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Thu Feb 15 16:59:06 CET 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:22:38PM +0100, Bart Friederichs wrote:

> > Then either there is something wrong with the kernel, or with the network... I
> > cannot think of anything else really. Can you tell anything else about your
> > setup? Did you try anything to resolve this problem?
> Hmm. We connect three hosts together, where host A connects to B, B connects to
> C and C connects to A. Two of the hosts are runnning kernel 2.2.16 and one
> 2.2.18. The link between the two 2.2.16 hosts keeps falling out, so I guess
> upgrading the two 2.2.16 hosts to 2.2.18 or 2.4.1 might fix the problem.

Hmm... strange that the connection between 2.2.16 and 2.2.18 hosts does
work... Maybe there is something wrong with firewall rules? Device settings?

> Furthermore, we have quite a standard installation, no specialties or so. Do
> you think adding PingTimeouts in the tinc.conf files might fix this? We haven't
> try anything yet, but I guess fiddling with those settings might do some good.

Only if your network is really slow should you be meddling with PingTimeouts,
but do try.

> PS
> Do all errors from the syslog (see previous mails) seem to have to do something
> with this one error? The bogus_data coming from 10.1.2.1 (this is the 2.2.18
> host) doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

Hmm... could you send me a copy of the syslog starting from the point where
you are first starting the daemon? Preferrably when tincd was started with the
-ddddd option (yes, 5 d's).

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/