Massive confusion

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Sun Feb 11 09:33:15 CET 2001

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 10:53:12PM -0700, Doran L. Barton wrote:

> So, then I found tinc on freshmeat and installed the 1.0pre2-1 RPMs for Red
> Hat on both sides of the VPN. Tinc was a lot more attractive because of the
> manual on the website. But... it is very confusing. I think the reason I'm
> confused is because the manual is for 1.0pre3 and I'm using 1.0pre2. I see
> there are .debs for pre3 but no RPMs for pre3. *sighs*

Good point, we'll try to make some RPMs for pre2. But the 1.0pre2 RPM should
include a texinfo file called "tinc.info". If you have installed it correctly,
you should be able to read it by typing "info tinc". That's the same manual as
on the web, except that it is for pre2.

> Both sites in my VPN have Linux boxes running IP Masquerade on them acting
> as gateway and firewall to the Internet. I think this is why I couldn't get
> vtun to work correctly. After I set up the vtun link, I would try to ping a
> host on 192.168.1.x from a 192.168.2.x host and I wouldn't get any
> replies (presumeably because the packets were being sent via both Linux
> gateways.

Very strange. It would help if you would send the output of "ifconfig" on both
gateways, and the config files you wrote for tinc.

> Do I need to write ipchains rules to get this to work with tinc?

No. But maybe you have an ipchain rule that is blocking tinc's packets
somehow, maybe you could send us your ipchains rules as well?

> Also, the primary reason for doing this is so users at the remote site can
> use this lame Windows network timecard app. Does anyone have any experience
> doing this?

Not with timecard apps, but tinc should be able to handle that situation for
you.

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/