need setup help

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Tue Sep 12 10:21:45 CEST 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Jason Ostermann wrote:

> While I don't normally consider myself a clueless newbie, I'm quite
> lost with tinc right now. Situation: remote machine is the tinc
> server, let's say internet ip 148.94.168.23. (ip's changed to protect
> the guilty) It's name is Shire. Local machine is tinc client, internet
> ip 205.64.36.65. It's name is Gondor.

> Here are the tinc.confs:
> Shire:
> MyOwnVPNIP = 192.168.111.1/24

> Gondor:
> MyOwnVPNIP = 192.168.111.2/24

You cannot do this. MyOwnVPNIP's must NOT overlap. With MyOwnVPNIP you
tell a tinc daemon which IP addresses it sees as local. If you put /24
behind the address, it will see the entire network 192.168.111.* as local,
and it will never forward any packet with a destination in that range to
another tinc daemon.

You can either change /24 into /32, this will let the tinc daemons
communicate to each other, but only on two IP addresses. If you really
want to connect two different subnets, change the addresses accordingly,
and also increase VPNmask.

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/