tinc SECURITY INFORMATION - Unauthorized access to VPN

Ivo Timmermans zarq at spark.icicle.yi.org
Sun Sep 10 16:35:01 CEST 2000

Although we (the authors of tinc) have done our best to make tinc as
secure as possible, an unfortunate combination of encryption and key
exchange techniques has created a hole in at least all versions of
tinc >= 0.3, including the current CVS version.

Exploit:

If somebody can intercept the meta protocol to a host that is running
a tinc daemon, it is possible to decrypt the passphrase, which can
then be used to gain unauthorized access to the VPN, and become a part
of it.

Workaround:

Add firewall rules so that only trusted hosts can connect to the tinc
daemon.

Fix:

We are currently working on the implementation of a new protocol, with
a different authentication scheme.  We expect to have a working
version in CVS around next weekend, we will release a new version
(1.0pre3) when this becomes stable.

Guus Sliepen
Ivo Timmermans