1.0pre2

Ivo Timmermans zarq at zebra.icicle.yi.org
Wed May 31 21:42:26 CEST 2000

Hi all,

1.0pre2 is there.

[ I just noticed the included ChangeLog is empty -- oh well. ]

* This version has been internationalized; and a Dutch translation has
  been included.

* Two configuration variables have been added:
  * VpnMask - the IP network mask for the entire VPN, not just our
    subnet (as given by MyVirtualIP).  The Redhat and Debian packages
    use this variable in their system startup scripts, but it is
    ignored by tinc.
  * Hostnames - if set to `yes', look up the names of IP addresses
    trying to connect to us.  Default set to `no', to prevent lockups
    during lookups.

* The system startup scripts for Debian and Redhat use
  /etc/tinc/nets.boot to find out which networks need to be started
  during system boot.

* Fixes to prevent denial of service attacks by sending random data
  after connecting (and even when the connection has been established),
  either random garbage or just nonsensical protocol fields.

* tinc will retry to connect upon startup, does not quit if it doesn't
  work the first time.

* Hosts that are disconnected implicitly if we lose a connection get
  deleted from the internal list, to prevent hogging eachother with
  add and delete requests when the connection is restored.

What still needs to be done before 1.0:

* Documentation.
* Failover ConnectTo lines, try another one if the first doesn't work.

Have fun,

--
Ivo Timmermans

Deja moo: the feeling you've heard this bullshit before.