Network confusion

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Sat Jul 29 00:37:36 CEST 2000

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Donald Thompson wrote:

> Whens the point and click GUI coming out?

Soon, very soon! We already switched to VPL (Vapourware Public
License) for Visual Tinc++ ;)

> All kidding aside, I seem to be confused about some of the network
> settings. Essentially all I want is a secure tunnel from machine A to B
> on two different physical networks, but I can't seem to get there.
[...]
> 	MyOwnVPNIP=10.0.0.1/24
[...]
> 	MyOwnVPNIP=10.0.0.2/24

Classical mistake. 10.0.0.1/24 and 10.0.0.2/24 overlap, and that is bad!
The subnets from the different tinc sites should differ. If you don't want
to connect subnets but only single hosts, make the netmask /32 instead of
/24.

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/