tinc_for_tunneling_port_139

Ivo Timmermans zarq at spark.icicle.yi.org
Sun Aug 6 12:20:56 CEST 2000

root wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is tinc a better solution for my problem described thereafter?
>
> I have studied your docs but did not find an answer.
>
> So I decided first to ask before I begin my lengthy trials.
>
> I your tinc should be a good solution for tunneling port 139
> (and perhaps printing) it should be included in your docs,
> because would be interesting for many people.

tinc can be used to tunnel IP traffic.  That much is stated in the
docs.  NetBIOS traffic on port 139/tcp can thus be routed over a tinc
network.  So as long as these Windows computers can use IP traffic
instead of IPX, your problem can be solved using tinc.

But it is important that all the routers you have in your network
allow UDP data on port 655 to be delivered to the Linux server that is
going to run the tinc daemon.

>        Is it even possible, that the WIN CLient prints on a printer
>        on the "other" side (IP address 192.168.51.x) ?

Yes.  As far as I know, Windows uses the same set of protocols for
sharing files and sharing printers.  Same goes here, if it's IP
traffic, tinc can handle it.

--
Ivo Timmermans