Hardware Progress

E Jonsen e_jonsen at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:58:06 CET 2018

I had problems compiling when using the "JB" patch set, so just the sound and elan patches. At this stage I haven't even applied the boot time parameters for cstate (perhaps not required now) and sdcard writes.

I didn't say the camera works just that I now see it being probed. ;-)

There are error (actually warning, I reckon) messages about the wifi firmware but I suggest that they may be OK - it's checking for any updated firmware, then moving on with inbuilt one. I'm still messing about with the various debs/source for wifi & bt. Now that I know the broadcomm stuff is irrelevant on this platform, it is a step forward. :-|

It's seemingly possible to extract the wifi firmware from Windoze but haven't tried and is now not required. I guess a similar principle could be used for other firmware. I haven't looked at efivars (yet).

My attitude with the vm stuff, is that it's best to use a WYSIWYG approach ie. the real test of a specific kernel is on the actual hardware. Just IMHO. Clashing drivers is a very good reason to only include what is required, or at least minimise the dross. Less things to scan at boot time too.

It's been over 20 years since I delved into kernels, to this extreme so many of my assumptions/guesses are likely to be presumptuous at best. ;-) Please don't expect ANY miracles from me but I have had a long/bitter experience of debugging (all sorts of software).

(Currently building 4.15 on 6GB RAM/14 CPUs - less RAM is not an issue but helps in the isorespin process. Biggest improvement came from installing ccache.)