4.12 was released

Nicolas Huillard nicolas at huillard.net
Mon Jul 10 13:18:44 CEST 2017

Le dimanche 09 juillet 2017 à 14:37 +0200, Wessel Dankers a écrit :
> On 2017‒07‒06 09:58:15+0200, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> > I see that you also have them, so it might be another problem. I can
> > only paste the following message from the TCM screen :
> >
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> >
> > The beginning of the panic trace is not visible. Block 0,0 is strange,
> > and was not the same yesterday. I'll dig into that. I boot on the
> > internal eMMC, with remaining traces of Windows partitions that I need
> > to remove. GRUB displays errors about fd(0) or so since a few months,
> > but this didn't prevent booting before 4.12.
>
> Your initrd is probably missing. It's supposed to be generated by the
> postinst script but it forgets that sometimes because reasons.
> A quick update-initramfs -k all -u should fix it.

That's it, the initrd was not created. Thus I replaced -u with -c, to
create a new initrd, which unfortunately doesn't work much better (grub
didn't create a good enough stub, I don't know why and didn't
investigate yet).
I also recompiled the kernel my own way, with your config : this works
as well as with my config (didn't test much in depth), but your config
also enables to power the device off (my config can't, so I need to push
the power button for a dozen seconds to power off).

--
Nicolas Huillard