Windows 10

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Mon Aug 28 09:21:31 CEST 2017

On 27 August 2017 at 22:16, m h <mhandze at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope that we can talk here also about windows running on TMC ;)

I think a few of us use it as a fall-back when we break our linux setup.

> My Toshiba is 2 weeks new from shop. Currently I have Windows 8.1. I
> wanted to upgrade it to Windows 10, but I can't see any other than
> just buy new version way of doing it.
> Do you use 8.1 or 10 ? Which one is from your experience faster/more stable ?

I think W10 is a bit lighter on resources than W8.1. I think the only
significant issue is that nobody's got the HDMI output to work with
W10, maybe it's possible if you can find the right driver or some
driver hack; with W8.1 you could have dual head, if I remember
correctly.

One problem with W10 is that the updates are quite large and I found I
had to, and I can't be entirely sure what I did, get it to use the
microSD card for storage because it would run out of space.

Given that W8.1 ceases support in January 2018, you're going to have
to update anyway. Do be sure to use the windows tool to make a USB
stick containing the W8 installation before you replace it. You'll
need an 8G stick, but once you've made the backup, you can copy off
all the files and use the USB drive for something else - being UEFI,
it doesn't need special boot blocks, it's just files.