We got Sound!!!

Nicolas Huillard nicolas at huillard.net
Fri Sep 23 11:24:21 CEST 2016

Le jeudi 22 septembre 2016 à 22:07 +0100, Paul Mansfield a écrit :
> TLDR:
> * my TCM does have working sound. yay! though it's not stable, it's
> 100x better than it was.

I'll try that too when I have enough time... Along with C6/C7 and
backlight control.

> However, I still suffer serious occasional crashes when the sound
> driver is loaded - never with driver not loaded/blacklisted. When
> these crashes happen, it's as if there's a total power failure, the
> screen goes black, and the TCM becomes unresponsive as if it's off. I
> still have to forced a power cycle by holding power for 20 seconds to
> turn it off. When I turn it back on, it has lost its CMOS settings and
> I have to set the time and date!

Ouch, that's pretty bad !

> So, the first time I booted to test these settings, last might, I got
> the whole black screen of death crash when I tried to play a youtube
> video.

Yo may want to play a simple audio file, without any graphics gimmick at
the same time (video, vu-meter, anything...) which may trigger an i965
problem or trigger an cross problem between audio and video...

> The second time, it didn't crash, and I was able to play a music
> video. At first there was no sound, then I realised it was very very
> quiet. I cranked the volume up and all I could hear was distorted but
> still faint sound from the speakers. I turned the volume down to mid
> way and went through all the mixer settings and tried unmuting all the
> ones that didn't cause feedback from the microphone input, but no
> luck. This morning I tried the headphone socket, and that worked once
> I unmuted the correct channels, and the sound was loud, clear and
> good.

I didn't try anything linux-audio-related on mine, but remember having
heard bips and dings on Windows. I'll be extra careful not to burn
anything here.

Thanks for the updates !

--
NH