Status and Questions

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Tue May 31 14:35:52 CEST 2016

Hello Manuel
welcome to the list

I think Gee also replied to you

I was away at the weekend, sorry for delay in replying.

On 30 May 2016 at 11:46, Manuel <manuelsoukup at googlemail.com> wrote:
> As far as i can gather there is pretty good support for it with a
> patchset from Paul :-) MANY THANKS!

thanks, but I didn't write any patches, I simply found them! As for
the keyboard/touchpad issue in newer kernels, Nicholas found that.

> 1. Is the 4.6 kernel really more unstable in your experience than then
> 4.4 ?

not really, sadly, which is backed up by comments on the Google Plus
group for the Ubuntu + Asus Transformer

https://plus.google.com/communities/117853703024346186936

> 2. As far as i could gather back-light control is working and the SD

sadly, we can't control the backlight; you can dim the pixels which
achieves a similar thing visually but doesn't reduce the battery
consumption which is what we want

> card read write issue is resolved with the patches from Paul, also wifi

yes, the tablet's card slot can be made writable - I asked on the
linux kernel mmc mailing list and someone told me the kernel parameter
to add to grub.

> is stable. Correct ? Could someone sum up the workings and the
> non-workings for now maybe?

bluetooth
front camera
rear camera
sound
buttons

note that you need to be quite careful when experimenting with sound,
people trying it on the Asus transformer have permanetly damaged their
speakers or sound circuitry from overload.

> 3. My use cases:
> - Googleing

Ok

> - Watching movies

no sound

> - Writing text

ok

> - Stable! System (no lookups every 2 minutes etc)

mostly ok

> Stuff i want to try out:
>
> - KDE Tablet interface
>
> Does anybody run KDE on this ?

I'm using XFCE because it's less demanding, but I imagine KDE will be OK.

> As a tipp, i would recommend to mention on the blog, that you need to
> switch from systend to sysv :-)

yes, I did, before I discovered you could disable suspend-on-lid-close
in systemd

It's well worth skimming the aforementioned G+ group.

I don't fully understand the problems we have with sound, I would have
thought Toshiba's OEM would have wired up the Realek audio chip pretty
much the same way as all the other similar Baytrail devices using the
same chips. :-(

I screen-cap'd what Windows sees, but it didn't give me much insight
https://picasaweb.google.com/116367041269325477816/ToshibaClickMiniDeviceInformation#6162811826777592226

When I get time, I want to get the latest 4.4 kernel fully working, as
that seems pretty solid.

I did try the 4.5.3 kernel built for theTransformer, from the G+
files, as they said that has working sound, but (and I had to plug in
usb keyboard/mouse) sound didn't work.

So, any help you can give would be gratefully received.