64 bit test

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Mon May 2 22:45:56 CEST 2016

I've been on a 32 bit install since I started, because I found with
the standard debian kernel it was more stable. And I used Debian
because the mixed mode 32/64 bit net installer actually booted.

I bought a new 32GB uSDHC card cheaply for something else, so I
thought I would have a go with a 64 bit kernel. I used a fresh
download of the debian multi-arch net installer, and installed linux
with the root partition on the 32GB card. Mostly worked OK, quite
slow, but then I recall it was slow when I first did the 32 bit
install.

Meanwhile I built a 64 bit kernel with the John Brodie patches. I
copied that over and installed it - well, actually, I shut down the
TCM, took the memory card out of the dock, mounted and chrooted into
it to install the 64 bit kernel. Also, fixed the default grub config
for ctstate and sdhci-quirks. Much more convenient!

So far I've not been happy. It's a lot less stable than the 32 bit
system  I left it idle and it went to sleep and wouldn't wake up.

I think I'm going to switch the default boot back and keep the 64 bit
system for the occasional test, it's far too unreliable!