Kernel 4.5

Gee groeg3 at web.de
Tue Mar 29 01:05:18 CEST 2016

On 03/28/2016 03:08 PM, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> On 28 March 2016 at 14:02, Gee <groeg3 at web.de> wrote:
>> Many thanks, now it's there! Unfortunately it seems my problems were not
>> with my build but the kernel in general. It freezes within seconds of
>> booting up (mostly before I manage to login, occasionally about a second
>> after).
>> Interestingly, the 4.4.6 kernel seems to have the same problem, although
>> I have managed to properly boot it about two times. If it doesn't freeze
>> within the first couple seconds, it seems to run stable, which is a bit odd.
>>
>> I have had a look at my system-log, and strangely there seems to be
>> something sending the system to sleep when it crashes.
>> The last couple lines before a crash always concern systemd reaching
>> target sleep, starting suspend and suspending sysem. Any idea why that
>> might happen and how to solve it?
>
> are you still using systemd? it seems to think that it needs to
> suspend the computer.
>

> hack /etc/systemd/logind.conf
>
> and add
>
> HandleLidSwitch=ignore
>

> and restart. maybe, just possibly, it will help.
>

> do you remember me saying how slow mine was to start - about two
> minutes from hitting enter on the eEFInd entry to having the grub
> menu. I became convinced it was because my SD card had a GPT partition
> and residue of a previous linux install complete with EFI partition
> etc. So I had a clean up, and now Windows 10 is broken. sigh.
> http://imgur.com/CmJh0LK

Brilliant, that setting for systemd seems to have done the trick! Thanks
a lot!

Yes, I remember that you mentioned you're not using systemd. If this
causes further problems, I might try to figure out how to switch too,
although with this change I am able to boot normally and it seems to be
reasonably stable.
Great to finally have a battery indicator. Now the next best thing would
be to find out a way of controlling the backlight - it makes it a bit
more urgent when you see how fast the maximum brightness drains the
battery (well, and probably other power saving stuff not working
properly too).

Shame about the messed up Windows. Have you been able to fix it with a
Windows boot USB? Hope you won't have to set it up from scratch again (I
ended up doing that recently).