Kernel 4.5

Nicolas Huillard nicolas at huillard.net
Sun Mar 27 18:38:56 CEST 2016

Le dimanche 27 mars 2016 à 17:38 +0200, Gee a écrit :
> Thanks Nicolas! Do you have the same experiences as Paul described with
> the 4.5 kernel? ACPI working and otherwise less stable than before?

I noticed the battery notification, but didn't dig very much. It's
apparently working, which is a very good point, since not knowing the
fuel level is too dangerous for my usage.
I didn't test too much, but didn't feel it less stable than before.

> For the moment, I'm sticking with 32 bit, as I don't feel the need for
> 64bit with only 2GB RAM and imagine that a 64bit system would use
> (slightly?) more of that small amount of RAM. I'd be interested to hear
> whether there are other advantages to 64bit that I haven't thought of
> though?

The memory usage is not that much more. 64bits comes with a much
overlooked advantage, which is many more CPU registers, which promotes
strong optimisations from the compiler, leading to less code and more
performance for the same function.
That's why I switched to 64 bits even on this machine, and left behind
the 20st century. 32 bits is soooo Windows 95 ;-)

--
Nicolas Huillard
nicolas at huillard.net
Fixe : +33 9 52 31 06 10