Kernel 4.5

Gee groeg3 at web.de
Sun Mar 27 17:38:54 CEST 2016

On 03/27/2016 04:53 PM, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Le dimanche 27 mars 2016 à 13:53 +0200, Gee a écrit :
>> Hi and thanks for the compiling work. I still don't have time to
>> actually learn enough about compiling myself with all the additional
>> patches etc, but at least I managed to finally get my basic Debian set
>> up again on the Click Mini.
>> Currently using your 4.4.4 kernel, which seems to work fine at the moment.
>> In fact, I'm running it without any extra boot options (i.e. no
>> intel_idle.max_cstate etc.) and it works ok for the moment. Will monitor
>> the situation, of course, just had it running for about half an hour or so.
>> In case that's relevant, currently I'm using the xfce version of
>> sparkylinux. I will probably set up i3 later on, and might also try
>> gnome to see if I get hangs then (or more hangs than on lighter window
>> managers). Generally, gnome seems like a potentially nice choice for a
>> touch device, but last time I tried it on the Click Mini it just felt
>> pretty sloooow.
>>
>> I'd also love to try the new 4.5 kernel - is it possible that you have
>> the older version of it online? I tried it and mouse/keyboard didn't
>> work. Would be great if you could upload your recompiled version!
>
> Mine is 64bits, with btrfs, less lots of roughly useless stuff and
> drivers (I didn't check very much what I disabled). I didn't upload it
> anywhere yet, but I may, if someone's interested in 64 bits without
> Wifi.
> Paul's kernel is probably still 32 bits though, and have Wifi.

Thanks Nicolas! Do you have the same experiences as Paul described with
the 4.5 kernel? ACPI working and otherwise less stable than before?

For the moment, I'm sticking with 32 bit, as I don't feel the need for
64bit with only 2GB RAM and imagine that a 64bit system would use
(slightly?) more of that small amount of RAM. I'd be interested to hear
whether there are other advantages to 64bit that I haven't thought of
though?