Fwd: Linux On A Toshiba Click Mini...

Gee groeg3 at web.de
Thu Mar 10 13:26:05 CET 2016

On 03/10/2016 01:11 PM, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> On 10 March 2016 at 06:53,  <christian at boltares.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as a temporary solution to the backlight problem you can use
>>
>> xrandr --output UNKNOWN1 --brightness 0.5
>
> that's interesting, it suggests that the driver knows how to control
> the backlight, we just need to find a way of linking the control with
> the user space tools.

As a cautionary note, I believe that xrandr doesn't actually control
screen brightness on a hardware level. I jsut tested this on my current
machine, where I adjust brightness with xbacklight. Even if I reduce
brightness, xrandr still claims that brightness is at 1.0. I think I
also saw some forum posts to this effect.

So, if you're just concerned with the screen being too bright the xrandr
workaround is useful, but I suspect it's not going to improve battery
life (I'd be interested to hear if that can be disproved of course, but
atm that's probably hard to test directly on our Click Mini as we don't
have battery indication).

Best,
Georg