Linux On A Toshiba Click Mini...

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 14:08:29 CET 2016

On 7 March 2016 at 02:32, Gee <groeg3 at web.de> wrote:
> possible that it took a while to get past the Toshiba splash screen on
> boot - not sure if this wasn't the same before installing linux though).

I think part of the problem is that the Toshiba splash screen appears
twice, once through being baked into the UEFI firmware, and then again
in the UEFI partition during boot.. I see it overlaid with the windows
up.

> On 03/06/2016 06:18 PM, Paul Mansfield wrote:
>>    Adapter 0: off-line
>>    Adapter 0: on-line
>
> That is at least a step forward, before there was no recognition of
> connection whatsoever, if I remember correctly?

I think you're right, to be certain I'd have to boot an old kernel.

> Camera would be another great step forward, good luck with that!

sadly it seems that the camera source code needs a whole bunch of
other stuff from the amlogic kernel source, and is hardware dependent
in mysterious ways. I started copying over various include files to
try and make it build, but finally hit a dead-end when it started
referencing files that I simply didn't have.
I don't know much about writing linux device drivers to start looking
into the ar0543.c source code and fixing stuff :-(

I think there's a Lenovo Miiix which is quite similar, as well as the
Asus Transformers, so I am hoping one of us will stumble on a fix for
the audio.

I did briefly try kernel 4.5 but the r8723bs patches from hadess
github didn't work at all, I saw some posting in their issues section,
so I am hoping that they will have it all working by the time kernel
4.5 is released.

====

On the subject of WiFi...

Anandtech recently reviewed the Voyo V3, which has a CherryTrail SoC,
but has the same WiFi adaptor, and they showed how poor it is:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10100/voyo-v3-review-a-fanless-intel-atom-x7z8700-cherry-trail-minipc/4

In July last year I bought an Edimax AC450 EW-7711MAC adaptor, to get
better wifi. I chose that specific one because I read that there were
linux drivers for it. It works well under Windows, but unfortunately
it's got a Mediatek chip in it, and they didn't produce drivers for
anything newer than kernel 2.6.18!
Apparently there's an Edimax EW-7811 usb wifi adaptor with 802.11ac,
but I am not confident now in their vague promises of linux
compatibility.