Linux On A Toshiba Click Mini...

Nicolas Huillard nicolas at huillard.net
Thu Mar 10 19:04:53 CET 2016

Le lundi 01 février 2016 à 08:27 +0000, Paul Mansfield a écrit :
> I've now built a 4.2.8 kernel from original source using an adapted debian
> config. touchscreen, key board and touch pad are working.

I've just found the issue with the keyboard/trackpad on newer kernels :
* the elan_i2c device driver is not tied to the ELAN0800 device ID in
the ACPI configuration (this is the case for 4.2, 4.4 and 4.5 at least,
while 4.4+ have more device ids than 4.2, see
drivers/input/mouse/elan_i2c_core.c:elan_acpi_id)
* the device is thus handled by the generic i2c/hid driver on 4.2, but
4.4+ have our device ID in its hid_ignore_list, which prevents the
enhanced device to be treated at least as a generic one (see
drivers/hid/hid-core.c)

The fix is to remove/comment-out the following line from
drivers/hid/hid-core.c :
	{ HID_I2C_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_ELAN, 0x0401) },

The other option (enabling the elan_i2c driver with the device, adding
its ELAN0800 ID into its ACPI match list) freezes the kernel very early.
I was not able to grab significant traces, even though they appear to be
stored in the journal. I'll try to get in touch with the module
developer.

> ​The mouse pointer movement is very sluggish , hopefully I can fix that​

Maybe kernel 4.4+ would be more responsive. I also noticed a problem
with what appears to be an MMC USB device inside the dock (the dock
apparently contains a 4 port USB hub and this MMC chip), which triggers
lots of USB disconnects. This generates a lot of kernel logging, which
may or may not be stored on-disk. I temporarily disabled
CONFIG_MFD_RTSX_USB in the kernel configuration.

--
Nicolas Huillard
nicolas at huillard.net
Fixe : +33 9 52 31 06 10