Linux On A Toshiba Click Mini...

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 19:04:52 CET 2016

On 31 January 2016 at 15:20, Wessel Dankers <wsl at fruit.je> wrote:
> My current approach is to get the ubuntu wily 4.2 kernel working on it (in
> 32-bit mode). I'm hitting a small snag in compiling it (or rather, in
> building the package). Nothing that can't be overcome but I haven't found
> the time to work around it.

what I've been doing is this, and quite possibly it's not the right
thing to do, so please tell me if I am being an idiot

* using a virtual machine for development, currently Debian Jessie
with backports apt source enabled
* downloading the kernel source from kernel.org
* unpacking the source in /usr/src
* installing a similar kernel from the debian repository
* using the Debian kernel packager's config - copy
/boot/config-nn.nn.nn into /usr/src/linux-nn.nn.nn/.config
* using make menuconfig to tweak the kernel:
    set processor type to "Core 2/newer Xeon"
    disabling anything AMD specific
    disabling drivers that I am very sure are irrelevant
* using "make -j 3 deb-pkg" to build the kernel package
* renaming the .deb files to shorter names for convenience
* install that kernel on my VM to verify it will boot
* build the wifi drivers "make ; make strip"
* copy kernel and wifi drivers across to the Tosh C.M., where I
install it, boot it
* if it boots, copy drivers up to my web site