4.7.0-rc2

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 14:14:16 CEST 2016

Looking at this diagram

​
​I think there's a fundamental problem with the "Storage Hub" subsystem.
When I first tried linux on the TCM, even the internal eMMC was
problematic, with timeouts on reads and writes (I was surprised I even got
linux installed at all!).

Nicholas also felt at the time there were problems with the display
controller, triggered by X11, which weren't seen in Android because it
doesn't use X. Those problems seem to have settled down now. Or been
overshadowed by other problems.

If our problems are ACPI related, where the hardware is being set up
wrongly causing problems with interrupt sharing and race conditions etc.
​Since Windows runs relatively reliably, I can only assume that it
overrides​ the DSDT information in order to set up the hardware correctly.
I don't know enough about Windows to try and extract its "live" DSDT table,
which I think is what we need?

Paul
p.s. that diagram from
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/intels-atom-cpus-finally-get-serious-with-the-new-bay-trail-architecture/