Android x86 6.0rc1 marshmallow with working keyboard and trackpad

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 23:11:57 CEST 2016

Hello Stefan,

apologies for the delay in replying, I just got back from training in London.

I will attempt to answer your questions, see below

On 9 June 2016 at 13:11, Stefan M. <mail4stefm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is Stefan and I am new to this Toshiba click mini mailing list.

welcome to the list, the more people interested and willing to help
make more of this device, the better!

> There is a brand new release of Android x86 6.0 marshmallow:
> http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-6-0-rc1
> However still the trackpad and keyboard of the Click mini is not working.
>
> I managed to re-build the kernel with a few applied patches from
>
> john_brodie_4.6-Patches-2016-05-16.zip
> I applied the following patches (don't know If the others are necessary):
>
> patch -p1 < disable-i8042.patch
> patch -p1 < disable-CRC.patch
> patch -p1 < rpmb.patch
> patch -p1 < EnableToshibaClickMini_Touchscreen.patch

it's worth monitoring the Asus Transformer T100 group for when these
patches are updated, and some probably don't matter to us, but the
main thing is that they have quite a few people actively testing.

> So now the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboard is working :-)
> In order to successfully build the kernel I had to disable many WLAN drivers
> (It didn't build otherwise).

I've heavily tweaked my kernel config to try and omit anything I don't
think matters. I mainly work with a 32 bit kernel, so generally the
configs I publish are for that and I use "make menuconfig" to flip
them to 64 bit. John Brodie warns that reconverting back and forth can
result in things breaking.

> However I added the driver from https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs, so WLAN
> is working.

those patches seem to mainly be for the Baytrail SoC to make the
driver work. I thought John Brodie had been incorporating those
patches... but nothing is constant here!

> I also added more boot options for different intel_idle.max_cstate values.
>
> Changing the CPU architecture from "Pentium M" to "Intel Atom" in the kernel
> config was not a good idea, as this resulted in a very slow and unstable
> system...

I think that's for the original Atom, whereas the modern baytrail
atoms are much more advanced.
My kernels are set to build for CPU architecture "core2/newer Xeon" ,
I've not noticed any problems.

> I uploaded the modified image at:
> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8oiZc1XOc8weWhEVUUwcHN4S2s&usp=sharing
>
> To use it just format a USB-Stick with Fat32 and copy the files from the
> .zip on it.

great! I won't try this just yet as but maybe at the weekend.

> There are still many things not working:
> - When display is turned off (or should be turned off, because it does not
> really turn off) then no input works anymore.
> However if you plug in another USB device the system works again
> It is not possible to disable the feature completely (30 min is the
> maximum). So the Settings.apk must be modified
>
> - The system hangs sometimes completely (at least if intel_idle.max_cstate=1
> is not set)

reports on the T100 group suggest 4.6.1 is better than 4.6.0 and maybe
even 4.6.2. problem is that the hard lock-ups are hard to diagnose :-(

thanks for sending this to the group, I hope we can make progress
towards having a linux kernel which supports the Click Mini well.

Paul