Status and Questions

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 17:54:03 CEST 2016

On 1 June 2016 at 11:40, Manuel <manuelsoukup at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Why is it sad, that the 4.6 kernel is NOT unstable ?
> What kernel do u use ?

I tend to revert to 4.4.6 which is quite old. It still locks up
sometimes, but I think that's partly a problem with I2C, partly a
problem with SDIO. For example, I was trying out a different kernel
yesterday and it *seemed* to lock up but it was simply I2C crapping
out and I had to revert to a USB keyboard.

I don't know how to make undock/redock work. I have one of these:
   https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-3-0-Hub-3--Multi-function/dp/B01EF4WPQS
and find it very useful as I can connect mouse and keyboard, reliable
network and insert a memory card/

> hmm ok what is the problem with the back light ?
> if the device is recognized: Did you try to set the values manual ?

I can't remember, sorry.

> ->  setpci -s DEVICE_ID F4.B=FFF
>
> I read here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1413446
> That there are systems with dual mode HDA and I2S Sound.
> Has anybody tried to supply the workaround to pass acpi_os="!Windows
> 2013" as a kernel parameter?

I didn't know about that, I can give it a go

> Also for the sound did you use the alsa.state file supplied in the T100
> thread with the kernel ?

I tried the 4.5.3 AFS kernel from the Asus Transformer group, along
with their sound states and the UCM stuff, but didn't get it to work.
However, it's quite possible I did it wrongly! Because that kernel
wasn't built for the TCM, the keyboard and touchpad didn't work, so it
wasn't a great experience anyway :-(

> Could you include the grub parameter for the sd card slot into your blog
> ? So we have a good writeup on what to do when, to get most of the stuff
> working ?

add sdhci.debug_quirks=0x10000 to /etc/default/grub and then
regenerate grub config file.

I wrote up a load of stuff here:
http://www.maxbyte.co.uk/blog007.html

> For now i miss such a think like this:
> http://www.jfwhome.com/2016/01/04/latest-steps-to-install-ubuntu-on-the-asus-t100ta/
> If you want i can help with the writeup :-)
>
> Could you supply more infomation (vendor, name, ids etc) for the
> cameras, bluetooth etc so i can do some googleing?

I took screen dumps of what Windows sees
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOsqT_IeMewI7eOZug_1UvQrLe_KBXw0VVDtqQl

> Why do the buttons not work ? are raw key events detected ?

I've not really tried to be honest. I build a new kernel when a new
release or RC is published it, try it out to see if anything new
works, and when it crashes (as it finally does) force it off and get
on with something else!

> Is systemd stable ? (no interrupts fireing if the suspend-lid service is
> killed?)

I stopped using systemd before we discovered the need to block
lid-closed events. Others here still use it.

> How soon can we expect sound to work ? Next months or years ?

I think we need a lucky breakthrough, someone to discover what special
parameters to feed through to the drivers so that the I2C codec is
configured correctly to talk to the Baytrail hardware, along with the
mixer hardware settings.
I simply don't know enough about debugging linux device drivers, nor
do I know how Toshiba wired up the Baytrail SoC to the support chips,
so I can't even guess whether we've been on the verge of having it
working or absolutely nowhere near :-(

I'll follow-up later when I've built another 4.4.x kernel that's useful.