Kernel request 4.4.7 i686

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 17:29:55 CEST 2016

On 1 June 2016 at 14:33, Manuel <manuelsoukup at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 1. Why does the device does not show up with the 4.6 kernel ? Is there
> more info available ?

the R8723BS wifi adaptor is not in the main kernel tree, you have to
get it from https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

just git clone that and build it whilst running the desired kernel;
copy the r8723bs.ko into /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

you'll see I provide the .ko files in my downloads here
http://www.zaurus.org.uk/download/toshiba_click_mini_l9w/

you have to download and rename the file before copying to the right
directory as above

then do "depmod -a" and finally "modprobe r8723bs"

"dmesg | tail" will give you an insight into any problems

> 2. Could Paul supply a 4.4.7 kernel in i686 format, only a x64 kernel is
> on the ftp server, to get wlan working? What does not work with that
> 4.4.7 kernel ?

I'll get building! I've been trying to get 4.4.11 to work but
something goes wrong with the I2C interface to the dock.

> 3. We tried other wifi dongles like Edimax and Atheros but non of them
> work... Any ideas ?

I've been using a Raspberry-PI compatible USB module, it's a Ralink
802.11b/g/n one, fairly compact and works well.

Note that with other modules you may need to copy on the Wifi
firmware, most of these wifi modules are brain-dead until you upload a
binary blob firmware module. After inserting, use "dmesg | tail -50"
to see if there's an error reported looking for firmware. Check you
have the "linux-firmware" package installed.
Without the firmware you may get a device, e.g. wlan0, but it won't
actually do anything!

hope this helps.

p.s. any feedback about http://www.maxbyte.co.uk/blog007.html would be
helpful, or re-use any of that if you credit/back-link. thanks.