kernel 4.6-rc2 with John Brodie patches - was Re: kernel 4.6-rc1

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 22:51:50 CEST 2016

On 11 April 2016 at 12:10, Paul Mansfield <paul at mansfield.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm building a 4.6-rc3 kernel now and will upload for others to test,
> I won't be able to try until this evening.

kernel worked first time and was running fine until the tablet lost
contact with the dock and the keyboard and touchpad stopped
communicating.

I undocked/redocked, but it didn't work. The power pass-through
resumed as did the USB wifi adaptor.

So, I haven't really noticed any benefit of rc3 over rc2. Still no
SDIO wifi or bluetooth or sound; OTOH, it's no worse. The XFCE desktop
feels pretty snappy, Chrome runs OK with a modest number of tabs - the
USB wifi adaptor is probably a bit better than the SDIO wifi would
have been.

There's been no real updates from the hadess forum to get wifi fixed
as yet. something went wrong with SDIO and it seems out of their
hands.

the xjesus.net ubuntu guy isn't very advanced, he didn't know how to
patch and build a kernel, so I don't hold out much hope. when I told
him his ISO won't boot, because the UEFI was wrong, he didn't seem
know how to fix it.

I contacted a guy who tried to get linux to run on his Lenovo Miix3,
back in the days of kernel 3.xx, but he seems to have mostly given up
on the idea. I think if we could get sound to work then he might be
willing to revisit it.

well, that's all I have. I'm largely going to park this until either
there's a break-through with sdio wifi, or 4.6 is released, or 4.7-rc
is published in the hope 4.7 will bring a break-through!

cheers!