Kernel 4.5

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 14:57:02 CEST 2016

On 29 March 2016 at 08:05, Paul Mansfield <paul at mansfield.co.uk> wrote:
> I booted the Windows 10 ISO and ran the rescue/recovery but alas it failed.
> I've tried other remedies I found on random websites but no joy. If Linux
> ran well, I'd not care that much :-(

I managed to fix windows by booting a Windows10 ISO (actually using my
Zalman virtual optical drive, I love that thing!) and running the
command-shell recovery

http://www.techyv.com/questions/windows-8-winloadefi-error-code-0xc0000225

basically windows had renamed its drives so the C drive was something
else instead, so using DISKPART I set it back to C:, and ran the
BCDBOOT command to fix the UEFI file. It now boots.

I had to boot linux in rescue mode and regenerate the UEFI files for
that too, and now happy again.

Overall it didn't take too long. It doesn't speak well of Microsoft
that their automated boot repair process is useless and took a long
time, and with the help of some random internet web page it took only
minutes to fix!