tinc performance relatively slow

Pallinger Péter pallinger at dsd.sztaki.hu
Thu May 7 12:11:28 CEST 2020

On Tue, 5 May 2020 13:32:50 +0100
Jonathan Plews <SRS0=286U=6T=yahoo.co.uk=pl3w5y at mijnuvt.nl> wrote:
> I didn't study the internals but maybe changing DirectOnly, Forwarding
> and IndirectData will have an impact on per packet performance and
> speed stability by disabling some of the meshing features?
I will definitely try those.

> Although it probably just hit the CPU limits again did you try
> Compression 0 vs 1 vs 10?
I tried compression levels 0,1,9,10 and 1,9 did slow down
transmission by 20-40% (360Mbps to 250-300Mbps), 0,10 were about the
same. I do not think compression could greatly benefit me, as most
transmitted data will already be compressed.

If tinc is not fast enough, I was thinking about using a second VPN
like wireguard point-to-point between each server where possible (even
an SSH tunnel would get nice performance). Tinc is still great for
stability and robustness (as long as I have one server with public IP
working, the network works as a whole), so I intend to keep it for
administrative and similar low-bandwith tasks.

If anyone has experience using tinc over 10Gbps or even 1Gbps networks
with at least 1Gbps performance, I would still very much like to hear
about it (I read some claim about being able to saturate an 1Gb link
on this mailing list).

Also, my question about the stability of tinc 1.1 still stands. Is it
ready for production?

Thanks,
	PP