UDPbuffer adjustment

Bright Zhao startryst at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 13:04:40 CET 2020

Hi,

Saw the below config from tinc’s manual:

     UDPRcvBuf = bytes (OS default)
             Sets the socket receive buffer size for the UDP socket, in bytes.  If unset, the default buffer size will be used
             by the operating system.

     UDPSndBuf = bytes (OS default)
             Sets the socket send buffer size for the UDP socket, in bytes.  If unset, the default buffer size will be used by
             the operating system.

OS, CentOS, just would like to know, if I increase the the /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max and /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max to 10MB by below command(in order to increase the UDP buffer size):
sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=10485760 ; sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=10485760

but keep /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default and /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_dafault unchanged, which is 200KB.

and I don’t have any UDPRcvBuf and UDPSndBuf config in the tinc.conf, so what’s the udp buffer size for tinc? should I change /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default and /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_dafault as well? or prefer to set that by UDPRcvBuf and UDPSndBuf in tinc.conf?

also do I need to kill/start tincd process to make it effective, or just tincd -n network -kHUP?