Fwd: Error during key creation

Nick Gilmour nickeforos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 11:16:18 CET 2019

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup tinc on 2 VPSs following this guide:
https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/vpn/how-to-set-up-tinc-peer-to-peer-vpn/

They are of the same type with Ubuntu 18.04.
On the the first one, I have manually built and installed tinc without an
issue (v.1.0.36).
On the second one, I've installed tinc from the repo (v.1.0.33), then
removed it and then built it and installed it (v.1.0.36) manually.
There was no error during the installation.
Now when I try to create the keys I'm getting this error:

$ sudo tincd -n linodeVPN -K 4096
Cannot open config file /usr/local/etc/tinc/linodeVPN/tinc.conf: No such
file or directory
Failed to read `/usr/local/etc/tinc/linodeVPN/tinc.conf': No such file or
directory
Generating 4096 bits keys:

Done.
Please enter a file to save private RSA key to
[/usr/local/etc/tinc/linodeVPN/rsa_key.priv]:
Error opening file `/usr/local/etc/tinc/linodeVPN/rsa_key.priv': No such
file or directory

Any ideas what went wrong and how can I fix it?

Regards,
Nick