IndirectData

Frank Myhr fmyhr at larkmoor.net
Sat Sep 1 19:34:02 CEST 2018

Hi list,

I'm hoping someone can help me understand when to use IndirectData.

Quoting the manual:

IndirectData = <yes|no> (no)
This option specifies whether other tinc daemons besides the one you
specified with ConnectTo can make a direct connection to you. This is
especially useful if you are behind a firewall and it is impossible to
make a connection from the outside to your tinc daemon. Otherwise, it is
best to leave this option out or set it to no.

This leaves me confused. (To me the wording seems to contradict itself.)

If I have:
Host A: dynamic IP address, incoming connections allowed
Host B: static IP address, incoming connections allowed
Host C: static IP address, behind firewall that blocks incoming connections

and I want Hosts A and C to communicate (directly if possible) over
tinc, I think what I need to do is:
Host A: ConnectTo=[Host B]
Host C: ConnectTo=[Host B]

How should I then set IndirectData on the 3 hosts?

Thanks,
Frank