tinc disconnects

Sergio Callegari sergio.callegari at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 09:17:31 CET 2018

Hi,

I am trying tinc using the versions found in ubuntu bionic and debian stretch.
To begin, I am trying to get two test machines, both of which are on the same
subnet in the same office, in a vpn with tinc.

Unfortunately, I am encountering issues. Tinc seems to start properly, but every
few hours it disconnects.

The following happens:

In the system log of host A I get:

Metadata socket read error for <host B> Connection reset by peer

After that, it looks like tinc periodically tries to reconnect. However, it
fails and on the system logs it produces entries like

Error looking up <host B> port 655: System error

this goes on every few minutes. Note that the host B is perfectly resolvable by
the nameserver and perfectly contactable via ping.

At the same time in the system log of host B I just see a couple of lineswith

<host A> didn't respond to PING in 5 seconds
Closing connection with <host A>

If I restart tinc on host A at this point, it reconnects perfectly and itkeepw
working for some time.

System A is ubuntu bionic, with tinc 1.0.33

System B is debian stretch with tinc 1.0.31

On both systems, tinc is run in a chroot as debian derivatives suggest.

What can the problem be? Is there anything I can try for a diagnosis?

Thanks

Sergio