Tinc blocking on DNS requests?

codl codl at codl.fr
Wed Mar 14 15:45:50 CET 2018

Hello list, I have a bug to report

I have a tinc network of hosts composed of two hosts on a network, let's call them A and B, and a number of remote hosts over the internet, that I'll collectively call C. A and B both ConnectTo each other and to C

The config files for C refer to them by DNS hostname, while A and B have plain IP addresses. This will be relevant

When A and B are cut off from the internet, I'd expect A and B to still be able to talk to each other, but in practice it works for a time and then stops working for a few minutes, comes back for a time, etc. Modifying the host config files for C on both A and B to point at IP addresses rather than DNS hosts seems to fix it.

I suspect that tinc is waiting for DNS requests to time out and not routing any packets in the meantime