Packet capture to analysis the tinc connection close

Bright Zhao startryst at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 04:59:22 CEST 2017

Earlier, my tinc topology is this: https://ibb.co/bP1EJa <https://ibb.co/bP1EJa>, let me explain a little bit:

client configuration:
Name = client
AddressFamily = ipv4
ProcessPriority = high
PingTimeout = 10
TunnelServer = yes

1. All tinc nodes configured with “IndirectData = yes”, and the lines shown on the picture with arrow means the directional “ConnectTo”, so all the tinc traffic will go follow the “ConnectTo” indicated on the topology. (a1, a2, a3 will be transit node relay traffic from south to north)
2. The yellow highlighted number indicate the weight for the default route advertised by server nodes, the lower the preferred; the client is on the bottom of the diagram
3. Based on the above two points, the traffic to default route will follow below redundant path prioritized as below:
    All fine      		: client1 > a1 > h1
    if h1 down		: client1 > a1 > h2
    if h1/h2 down	: client1 > a1 > server1
    same for other node on the top line failed

    if a1 down		: client1 > a2 > h1
    if a1/a2 down	: client1 > a3 > h1
    if a1/a2/a3 down  : client1 > server4

The above is the setup will cause irregular tinc down events, and when the event happens, the client1 drop all connections to a1/a2/a3/server4/server5/server6, but the connections between a1/a2/a3 to h1/h2/server1/server2/server/3 are pretty stable.

But after I changed the tinc topology to this: https://ibb.co/eOS4ZF <https://ibb.co/eOS4ZF>, the connection from client1 to a1 is much stable, never drop after couple of days….