Docker container for Raspberry Pi

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Sep 13 17:51:27 CEST 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 10:56:10PM +0000, Guillermo Bisheimer wrote:

> Just wanted to mention that I've published a docker image of tinc 1.1pre15
> for the raspberry pi 2/3.
>
> It was compiled from source on a raspberry 3 and published as
> byscontrol/tinc-rpi <https://hub.docker.com/r/byscontrol/tinc-rpi/> along
> witht the configuration instructions.
>
> The latest tag refers to 1.1pre15 only, but I can publish other versions as
> well if needed.

Nice. But why is a Raspberry-specific image necessary?
Looking at your Dockerfile, it should build just as well for any
architecture supported by Debian or any of its derivatives.

I see that there are actually quite a lot of images for tinc on Docker
Hub. The most popular one is jenserat/tinc. It seems it's somewhat
simpler than yours. In particular, it's missing a configure.sh script
that parses environment variables. However, where you say something like
"-e TINC_NAME:client1", which gets parsed by your configure.sh script,
with jenserats's version you just add "-o Name=client1" as an argument
to the docker run command, which is then directly interpreted by tinc.
It's also less typing and more flexible than your approach.