purge doesn't remove dead nodes

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Sep 13 17:28:14 CEST 2017

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 04:08:57PM -0700, Nirmal Thacker wrote:

> We have several stale nodes in our tinc network and I'd like to remove
> these.
>
> These nodes show up in graph dumps as red nodes, indicating they are
> unreachable.
>
> We run: tinc -n <vpn-name> purge
>
> Nothing happens. If we tail the logs at /var/log/syslog, we dont see an ack
> or message concerning the purge either. The dead nodes still show up in the
> graphs and their certs are still around in the hosts/ dir.

Ah, if you are using AutoConnect, TunnelServer or StrictSubnets, tinc
keeps information from nodes that have a file in hosts/ alive.

Maybe I should allow the reachable keyword for the dump graph command as
well, so you can do:

tincctl -n <netname> dump reachable graph

...and not see any nodes which are unreachable. Is that what you want?