Will couple of packets drop when in-frequent traffic go through tinc?

Bright Zhao startryst at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 04:58:09 CEST 2017

An very interesting test did yesterday that, LAN1 and LAN2 setup an tinc VPN which is quite simple(the physical link between tinc nodes are quite stable/fast), and no any application traffic to go through the tinc.

Later, I setup smokeping which LAN1 initial 20 ping to LAN2 on a per-minute basis, but as you saw from the below picture, it had packet drop. But if I perform a constantly ping from LAN1 and LAN2, then the smokeping output show the packet drop no longer happens.

From this observation, it seems the tinc VPN connection will have some sort of idle connection and will be pause, and constantly traffic will make the connection active?

https://ibb.co/jrkF4F <https://ibb.co/jrkF4F>