request for advice to increase throughput and lower latency

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Sep 4 20:12:47 CEST 2017

On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 05:24:50PM +0200, Jelle de Jong wrote:

> I am using fairly standard setup with tinc version 1.0.31 on Debian 9.1 and
> Windows Pro 7 clients, however the users complain that tinc is very slow.
> (they connect to smb shares and transfer files).
>
> This is my configuration the client host files only have the keys.
>
> http://paste.debian.net/plainh/7a904554
>
> Any advice and options to speed the connections up.
>
> What Cypher will be better, I got CPU power and memory on the tincd server
> side.

First try setting ProcessPriority = high on the Windows clients.

I think the fastest Cipher to use is aes-128-cbc. You can also try
changing the Digest, MD5 is not so safe anymore, but it's used in a HMAC
construction so it's not perfect but can be used. I wouldn't recommend
changing the Digest algorithm though.

Also check the traffic to/from the Windows clients and check if you see
fragmented UDP packets. If so, that might also explain why it is slow.