UDP connections on tinc

Heng Wang jason.wangh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:48:22 CEST 2017

Hello,

We are using tinc 1.0.24 with switch mode. Some questions regarding to the
UDP connections on tinc.

As far as I understand tinc is building meta connections with "ConnectTo",
and "ADD_EDGE" packet. With the help of EDGE info two nodes who don't have
direct meta connection are able to communicate through direct UDP
connection.

I understand we can dump the meta connection using USR2 signal. However is
there a way to know if a direct UDP connection exists between two nodes?

UDP connection will fall back to the meta connection(with next-hop..) if
the direct UDP fails, but what are the possible reasons for its failure?

Currently we have a connection like below:

A-->H
G-->H
D-->A
E-->A
F-->A
If we try to send packets directly from G to D, seems the direct UDP
connection always fails and it is going to path G-->H-->A-->D, however
somehow it got broadcasted during the process, because I can see that
message on E and F. Does this even make sense?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thank you.