Anyone tried tinc with TCP-BBR?

hvjunk hvjunk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 23:26:16 CEST 2017

> On 01 Oct 2017, at 21:45 , Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 11:28:40AM +0800, Bright Zhao wrote:
>
>> I understand the concern of uncertain for TCP-over-TCP by BBR, as the BBR is natively designed to optimize TCP, instead of TCP-over-TCP, but could you articulate a bit more about the beneficial of “sending host when there is a UDP tinc tunnel” in the middle”?
>
> It is *ALWAYS* better to have tinc tunnel packets via UDP instead of
> TCP.

I would’ve stated the above as: "It is *ALWAYS* better to have *any* VPN tunnel packets via UDP _or any other non-congestion/retransmission protocol_ instead of TCP”, as it is a general VPN related issue, not just tinc when it gets to retransmissions, and the retransmission of retransmissions with packet losses ;)