Improving packets/sec and data rate - v1.0.24

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Thu May 18 00:10:10 CEST 2017

On 17/05/17 21:50, Jared Ledvina wrote:
> Were you ever able to make any further
> progress on adjusting Tinc based on the investigation in
> https://github.com/gsliepen/tinc/issues/110 ?

Hi Jared,

No, not yet.

I list a few ways for potential improvements in the ticket, but the one
that I suspect would do most on the type of virtualisation that
DigitalOcean does is to add a feature to the Linux kernel to sending the
data for multiple UDP packets in one syscall, as mentioned in comment
https://github.com/gsliepen/tinc/issues/110#issuecomment-201949838.

In the last message of that Kernel code review, Alex Gartrell says
"Sounds good to me. I'll get a patch turned around soon.". I don't know
if they ever got around to it. It might be worth shooting an email to ask!
It would be great to have that feature.

For me personally the issue became less important, when I realised that
the syscall overhead is more specific to the DigitalOcean virtualisation
and less prominent with the virtualisation that AWS uses.
I also currently use mainly bare metal so that this issue affects me
even less. I would still love to see it fixed or if it myself (if I need
it, or I have some free time, or if I find somebody who wants me to do
it for them).

Niklas