What's the weight means in the dump of edge info from USR2?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed May 10 20:02:38 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 03:41:46PM +0800, Bright Zhao wrote:

> abc to def at x.x.x.x port 655 options d weight 540
>
> How’s the 540 weight been calculated? What does it mean? How can I leverage this weight?

Unless you specify it manually (by using the Weight configuration
option), tinc will use the time it takes to make a connection to a peer
as the weight. So peers with a higher latency, lower bandwidth and/or
lower CPU power will get a higher weight.

Weight is used for creating a minimum spanning tree for forwarding
broadcast packets. With tinc 1.1, weight is also used to decide which
node to forward packets to if direct communication with the destination
node is not possible, if there is a tie between multiple paths with the
same minimum number of hops.

> The d of after options mean direct?

d here means that PMTU discovery and MSS clamping is enabled.