How tinc route traffic when two subnets are identical?

Dave Warren dw at thedave.ca
Thu May 4 23:24:42 CEST 2017

On Thu, May 4, 2017, at 09:04, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> It is currently unspecified what tinc will do when you have two nodes
> with exactly the same Subnet. The only guarantee currently is that
> traffic goes to one of the nodes that is online.
>
> The implementation currently has the effect that, from the set of nodes
> that is online, tinc will choose the one that has the lowest Name (when
> sorted alphabetically). So if both A and B are up, A will always be
> preferred, because "A" sorts before "B". However, please do not rely on
> this. In the future, this might change to route towards the closest
> node.
>
> In general, tinc tries its best to ensure that traffic reaches *a*
> destination node, but it does not spend much effort in finding out what
> the *best* node is if there are multiple possibilities, and similarly
> when routing traffic to a given node, it tries its best to find *a*
> working path to it, but not necessarily the *best* path (although it
> does favor direct connections, which are *usually* optimal).

I'm a tinc n00b, not yet actually using it yet but investigating as it
seems it will solve a lot of problems with our current solutions.

Can I rely on this configuration as a lazy man's failover solution? I
understand I can't set priorities or anything of that sort, I just want
a simplistic failover if one or the other internet connection dies for
locations that have multiple external routes/connections.

There might be a better way, I'm still wrapping my head around
everything.