Different UDP and TCP ports?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue May 2 18:50:50 CEST 2017

On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 05:40:40PM +0100, Peter Whisker wrote:

> Is it possible to use different port numbers for UDP and TCP? I'd like to
> open the TCP connection to one port on the remote server and stream the UDP
> packets to a different port. I've tried specifying both as BindToAddress
> and Address lines but it always just uses TCP.

It's not directly supported by tinc, but maybe you can trick it to. Here
are some pointers:

You can have multiple BindToAddress lines. For outgoing UDP packets,
tinc will *initially* use the first matching one for a given address
family (IPv4 or IPv6).

Other tinc nodes will *initially* try to send UDP packets to this node
on the same port.

However, to help NAT traversal, tinc will allow packets from different
ports. If you really want to allow UDP packets on only one specific
port, you might want to add firewall rules to block UDP packets from
the other port(s), both incoming and outgoing.

Since tinc does not care about the port, you might instead try to add
NAT rules that change the source port of outgoing UDP packets to the
desired one (and also the destination port of incoming UDP packets).

But I wonder why you want to split this?