How to set Subnet in a node which act as both server and client role?

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Mon May 1 15:06:36 CEST 2017

That's not quite correct, you got some of it backwards. Be aware that in
tinc there are "metaconnections", which are the TCP connections you
establish using ConnectTo and are mainly used for routing and control
messages, and "tunnels", which are established on the fly, do not require
explicit configuration, and do not necessarily follow the topology of your
metaconnections.

In the default configuration, if tinc needs to send a packet to a node it
doesn't have a direct metaconnection to, it will try to send the packet
*directly* anyway. It will only fall back to relaying through other nodes
if that direct tunnel fails (e.g. because the node is not accessible, it's
behind a strict firewall, it's behind a NAT that tinc is unable to bypass,
etc.).

If you use IndirectData everywhere, then tinc will always send packets
along your metaconnections, and will never directly send packets to nodes
that it doesn't have any metaconnection to - it will use its "neighbors" as
relays instead.

If you use DirectOnly, then tinc won't even attempt to relay: packets that
can't be send directly will be dropped.

So, to summarize:

A ConnectTo B, B ConnectTo C:
If DirectOnly = no(default), and IndirectData = no(default): A will send
packets directly to C if possible. If it's not possible, it will
automatically fall back to relaying through B.
If DirectOnly = no(default), and IndirectData = yes: A will always use B as
a relay to send packets to C. It will not try to reach C directly.
If DirectOnly = yes, and IndirectData = no(default): A will send packets
directly to C if possible. If it's not possible, the packets will be
dropped.
If DirectOnly = yes, and IndirectData = yes: A won't be able to reach C. It
will only be able to reach B.