Significance of port 655?

Nirmal Thacker nirmalthacker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 01:57:23 CEST 2017

Hi

I'm new to tinc vpn and I am currently exploring a use-case we have, of
creating a secure mesh over which our own services may run.

This may be a basic question, I wasn't able to find a satisfying answer.

What is the significance of port 655 with regards to tinc?

Lets consider a 4 node setup: We have nodes:

[protected] : protected behind a private network in the cloud
[bastion]: also runs in the cloud, has an interface into the private
network but also has a public ip. accepts connections on port 655
[outside-1]: a laptop behind a home router
[outside-2]: similar to outside-1

I found that when I ran tinc (v1.1pre14) among these 4 nodes and dumped a
graph at [bastion], there were green edges from [bastion] to all other
nodes.

But dumping graphs on every other node had a black edge going to all other
nodes, other than [bastion]

So it appears to be a Star topology?

But obviously if I started a netcat listener on [protected], at port 9999,
both [outside-1] and [outside-2] could telnet in using [protected] VPN IP.
In this case I hope the traffic is going via [bastion].

Likewise [outside-1] and [outside-2] could also communicate via a
telnet-netcat session using VPN IP's
But does it mean this traffic is actually going over [bastion] too?

In both of those cases I would expect to see orange edges in the graph, but
I see only black edges.

What are the benefits of opening(forwarding) ports 655 on [outside-1] and
[outside-2]? Would they connect directly by learning of each other?

With regard to host files, all nodes have [bastion] host file only and
[bastion] has host files from all nodes

Thanks!
   -nirmal