using both ConnectTo and AutoConnect to avoid network partitions

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Aug 31 22:27:21 CEST 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:40:39AM -0700, Nirmal Thacker wrote:

> Following your suggestion we reconfigured our tinc network as follows.
> Here is a new graph and below is our updated configuration:
> http://imgur.com/a/n6ksh
[...]
> We are concerned that:
> - We still dont see edges in the graph that show connections between every
> blue labeled node to both the yellow labeled nodes
>
> Any reason why we dont see these edges?

Yes, AutoConnect will still remove outgoing connections that it thinks
are redundant. So even if the initial ConnectTo's will cause nodes to
connect to the yellow ones, after a while they can remove those.

> Is there something missing in our configuration?

If you make the yellow nodes ConnectTo all other nodes, and not have
AutoConnect = yes, and the other nodes just have AutoConnect = yes but
no ConnectTo's, then you will get the desired graph.

> > > - What is the workaround until we patch with this fix? Using a
> > combination of AutoConnect and ConnectTo?
> >
> > Yes.

I should've elaborated here.