What if two tinc daemons received the same Subnet but with different weight?

Bright Zhao startryst at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 10:04:08 CEST 2017

Hi, Guus

I referre to the two separate tinc process/network(received same subnet),
not Sunbet selection within one tinc process/network.

My understanding is if different tinc process comes with exact subnet, as
they are not related with each other(they have no idea regarding weights
with each other), I guess the routing depends on the host's main routing
table, for specific route it depends on which tinc interface as the "Via"
to determine this?

Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org>于2017年8月22日 周二下午11:10写道:

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 09:21:11AM +0800, Bright Zhao wrote:
>
> > Two tinc networks/daemons, and received same subnet from the two
> daemons, how tinc will choose which one is preferred? And the weight
> settings in each daemon for subnet will or will not be the judge?
>
> If you use weights for Subnets, then the Subnet with the lowest weight
> will be chosen, unless the node that owns that Subnet is offline, in
> which case the Subnet with the next lowest weight is chosen.
>
> If there are two completely identical Subnets, then it's currently
> undefined what happens (in practice it will choose the one with the
> lowest name alphabetically, but don't rely on that).
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
>      Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org>

Sent from iPhone