Windows tinc network no data despite tinc connection

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Nov 17 13:54:30 CET 2016

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:36:47PM +0000, Herr Brandes wrote:

> Trying to get tinc up and running, I hit a roadblock though. What I’m trying to do is to connect to my roaming notebook to my company network.
[...]
> Pulling tinc info client on the server gives the following:
> Node:         client
[...]
> Subnets:
>
> Pulling tinc info serverwin on the client gives the following:
> Node:         serverwin
[...]
> Subnets:

It looks like you didn't configure any Subnets. If tinc is in router
mode (which is the default), then it needs to know which IP ranges
belong to which nodes. To tell tinc that, just do the following:

On serverwin:

tinc [-n netname] add Subnet 10.42.100.3

On client:

tinc [-n netname] add Subnet 10.42.100.2

Another option is to run tinc in switch mode, in that case you don't
need any Subnets configured. You can enable switch mode using:

tinc [-n netname] set Mode switch

You have to do that on all nodes of your VPN.